History

Local History

1999

Our local center became a chartered affiliate of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, opening its doors in the South Madison community to more than 600 young people.

2003

The Clubs in Dane County opened a site at an apartment complex in the Allied–Dunn’s Marsh neighborhood, serving more than 1,000 young people annually.

2005

With help from the Allied Campaign, the Club broke ground for its new facility in the Allied–Dunn’s Marsh neighborhood.

2006

Community leaders raised more than $3 million to build a new Boys & Girls Club family center in the Dunn’s Marsh neighborhood and more than 1,800 kids were served on an annual basis.

2008

Our local clubs began a college preparatory program at East High School in Madison.

2009

The Clubs expanded their college preparatory programs into all four local high schools and partnered with Centro Hispano to start academic support programs at Verona High School to support the needs of at-risk students.

2010

Boys & Girls Club volunteers raised more than $1 million over an eight-year period to support local programming through the annual Bike For Boys & Girls Club, helping to keep the doors open to more than 2,000 young people and their families seven days a week, 50 weeks a year.

2011

More than 2,100 young people were served at the local Boys & Girls Club, and 100% of the clubs’ college prep members graduated from high school. More than 90% are in college as of October 2011.

National History

1860

Boys & Girls Club of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women in Hartford, Conn. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first club. A cause was born.

1906

Several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations—this marked the start of a nationwide movement.

1931

The Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.

1956

Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.

1990

The national organization’s name was changed to Boys & Girls Club of America to recognize that girls were a part of the cause. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.

2006

The Boys & Girls Club of America celebrated 100 years of providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.